Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Carrying Out My GAME Plan

This week for my Walden class, I have been asked to review my GAME plan I created last week and think about ways to carry it out. I have selected my first goal...I pasted it below for reference.

What resources will I need to carry out my GAME plan?
-I will need several things to get the ball rolling on citation. First, I need to get a class set (30) of the APA guidelines. Also, I will need to gather some examples for my students to use when practicing. This can be as simple as going to several web sites(or have my students do this) and bookmarking them to the school's server for easy access for my students. I will also need to set up time in the computer lab including securing the teacher computer with an LCD projector to project examples so my students can follow along.

What additional information do I need?
-the only other information I can foresee needing is students backgrounds in citation. I can get this information from my own experience dealing with my students. I can also inquire from the Language Arts department the level of experience in citation the students have.

What steps have I been able to take so far?
-I have submitted a purchase order to order the class set of APA guidelines. I have also developed a lesson plan which I gave a short description of above.

I look forward to implementing this part of my game plan. My students will benefit from having the experience of being exposed to citation. This is a skill they will use in college.

Rob Winner


GAME plan submitted last week...

NETS Standard 4a: advocate, model, and teach safe, legal, and ethical use of digital information and technology, including respect for copyright, intellectual property, and the appropriate documentation of sources

Goal 1: Students will learn how to properly cite electronic resources in APA format.

Action: When dealing with electronic resources, I will teach students how to use APA format to cite sources. This will be done by getting a class set of APA guidelines and having students follow the format. We will practice in the computer lab and use this skill during an established class activity, the Article Analysis.

Monitoring: I will keep a watchful eye during practice in the computer lab and make notes to students about when and how to cite sources.

Evaluation: Each student will be evaluated each week on their Article Analysis and a test will follow during week two of the exercise

7 comments:

  1. Rob,
    I think you have a great goal of helping your students learn to properly reference and cite their work. This is a skill that I have already starting working on with my fourth graders. I was curious if you are familiar with the Bibme website:

    http://www.bibme.org/

    This is a very user friendly and easy way for students to create citations. The citations can then be copy and pasted into a word document for a class assignment or essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob,

    If I were you, I would have the students explore the web sites to find examples. You could give them a scavenger hunt type of assignment where they have a list of sites to explore and to write down characteristics from each site. The last part of the exploration of each site would be to bookmark the site to the school’s server. With the use of the LCD projector, you can guide them through the website scavenger hunt.

    Obtaining the students background experience in citation will help, but I would run them through a few online posting exercises using citations. They should all have practice doing it the correct way with examples. Teaching them the correct ways of citation is very important. I know that I was not given a very good education on the topic when I was in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the responses so far! This is turning out to be a good exercise for my students. Today I took your advice wesche, and ran through a few examples of citation in class. Students were full of good questions about the process and have an interest in doing this well. My students know they are going to have to do this in college and don't want it to be a burden when they will have to cite.

    Richstad, I have experience with the bibme site. I work pretty well. Some of my students will prefer to use this site as opposed to doing it the "old fashioned way"

    Rob Winner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob,

    The first step I would take would be to contact the Language Art Department as you mentioned. I would make this my first priority so that I could understand what skills they have learned about citation already in English. It would be crucial to know if you are introducing this information or reinforcing it. I found that students in my school are taught MLA not APA so that kind of information would be very beneficial as you are planning activities. I have found that my students have a difficult time understanding paraphrasing and quotations. They seem to think that if they change a word or two it is there own thought and doesn't require citation. This is definitely a skill that will benefit the students in college so I think it is a great plan to have.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob,

    It sounds like you are well on your way to accomplishing your goal. I agree that your students will benefit greatly from your lessons. I didn't learn how to cite work until I got to college. You are preparing your students for future success.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob, If your ever looking for a fun video on copyright law there is one on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUPsfYJONrU It is produced by Media Education Foundation. Sounds like you've got the ball rolling on your game plan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good!

    Thanks for a few more great suggestions everyone! I believe this is a good goal I have chosen and look forward to doing a bit more research to find the best way to tackle this GAME plan! I'm going to remain flexible and I will probably change a few things along the way.

    Bonnie's video is pretty cool. Check it out if you get a chance.

    Winner

    ReplyDelete